Sunday, September 09, 2007

Shut up & sing


I wanted to watch the documentary about the Dixie Chicks called "Shut up & sing" mostly because I liked the title. Like many people, I have a turbulent history with the Dixie Chicks. I liked that "Cowboy take me away" song. Then came that whole President Bush thing. Then came the fights with Toby Keith. Then the whole FUTK t-shirt which I found funny. I hated that they just couldn't admit that was what the shirt was about. That was the last straw for me, how stupid do they think people are?


"Shut up & sing" really drove home how politics in our country changed over the course of a few years. However, I just couldn't feel compassionate towards the Dixie Chicks. I feel bad for the sisters who stuck by Natalie even though it hurt their careers. Then it looked like Natalie wasn't even making an effort to showcase them on their newest (old now) album. They produced a country album & kept insisting that it wasn't country, even though it was. They just called it something different because they didn't want to deal with the country stations. However, it's still country. Call it what you want, but it's still country.




Technorati : , ,

No comments:

Post a Comment