Thursday, July 02, 2009

Anthology of a Record Label

I've noticed a pattern with new artists and record labels. These steps are apparent on many blogs and even liner notes of my favorite and not so favorite musicans. The names and faces change but the story is always the same.

Step 1: "Oh my gosh I've just signed a deal with xyz label. They are the best. They truly understand the vision of my work & we are going to produce content that has never before been heard. I have high hopes that we'll be able to rhyme words with Dansko.

Step 2: "XYZ label wants me to make a ton of changes and wear weird clothes. They don't understand me and want me to be commercial."

Step 3: "I want to get out of my contract with xyz label. I'm suing them"

Step 4: "My album sucked because the label didn't understand me. The new album is what I wanted the old album to be and I won't compromise it for money.

Step 5: "Oh my gosh I've just signed a deal with xyz2 label. I've finally found someone who understands my creative vision.

No comments:

Post a Comment