Friday, May 08, 2009

Seven Pounds Review

The disadvantage of being a wealthy talk show host is that sometimes you have to promote stuff that just sucks. I was keeping this in mind a few months ago when Will Smith was on the Oprah show promoting Seven Pounds. Oprah usually raves about the movies but instead she kept the questioning along the lines of "So why did you choose to do this movie?" Will should've said "They gave me a lot of money."

I caught the hint from Oprah. The last time I remember her asking this was when Matt Damon did The Talented Mr. Ripley. Not even my beloved Matt could save that one. I didn't listen to Oprah. I figured that maybe the movie was just as boring as the bathroom sink or something. It really couldn't be that bad right? Wrong. Very wrong.

It wasn't the worst movie I've ever seen. However, I can see why a lot of online reviewers hated it. The movie was billed as a love story and it's not. I think on the advertisements they said it was the feel good movie of the year. You would have to be having a pretty bad year for that to be the high point. I guess you might find it interesting if you are thinking it's a typical love story. It will surprise you in the end but it will also disappoint you. If you listen to the opening sequences without preconceived notions, you'll have the weird plot figured out in 25 seconds. Then it's not even intriguing, just weird.

No comments:

Post a Comment